Sunday, July 13, 2008

Auckland's Jungle

Whats up everyone, hope this message finds you all doing well! !
- Wanted to let you all in on what was going on down here. Over the past few days, I've had the opportunity to borrow a car and do some exploring. It's a little different driving on the left side of the road but I think I'm getting used to it. The first day I went into Auckland, parked and just walked around town for a few hours. What a great city, so diverse with culture and architecture, a great fusion of Old world and new. I was told the other day that Auckland was voted the 4Th best city to visit in the world,,,,apparently who ever voted hasn't been to the A-town *-) There are some really great parks downtown such as Albert park and Victoria park, it's nice to go get lunch and just sit in the park and people watch. There are so many different cultures that call New Z home such as Australian, Asian, European, and a large population of S. Africans.
The next day, a friend of Joe's is a competitive pole vaulter and invited me to come and try. I really just wanted to wear the spandex so off we went! I cleared 10 ft and Joe's friend said I was a natural as he cupped my butt 8-)Just Kidding guys,,,,wait till you see the pic's,,,,priceless! ! The next day some friends and I drove right outside of town to Mt. Eden from which you have a spectacular view on the the city and all that surrounds. I was unaware of this but from Mt. Eden you can see that Auckland is surrounded by 14 different Volcano's, Wow lets keep Mother Nature happy right! ! After that we drove up through the mountains to the only spot you can see both coast lines, the Pacific to your east and the Tasman to the west, unfortunately we were stuck in a cloud and could barely see the car in front of us. I will try to top it again when Jaime gets here in a few days and hopefully get some pic's.
The next stop on our journey was the Waitakere National park which is one of the Jungle preserves about and hour south of Auckland,,,,WOW,,,would I sound under educated to just say,,,"That was really cool"! ! !
You would think after all that we would be exhausted but oh no, that night was one of Joe's friends B days so out on the town we went. We started at a friends house to watch the "All Blacks" vs. S. African "Spring Bocks",,,the All blacks lost and man do people down here take Rugby serious. After that we went to the first bar and to my surprise, the band that was playing did nothing but Pearl Jam and Sublime covers. A little different with the accent but great! ! Next to this underground club named A-isha,,,,,That's why they call it Tech-NO*** J.K. when in ROME right! ! Anyway, that's whats going on and I miss you all! ! The blog site is a little restrictive with the picture capability so for you guys that don't do the "Crackspace",,,I've done a flickr account through yahoo,,,,, http://www.flickr.com/people/76797840@N00/

Hope all is well and I'll send more soon! !
Mikey B*

5 comments:

Topo said...

Looking good Mikey B.! We want vids of the pole vaulting too!

That place is as gorgeous as I remember it...the grass is greener on the other side...!

Your living the dream my friend!

Aloha

Unknown said...

Mikey we all know he was cupping your ass ;-) you don't have to lie to us. Just kiddin bro looks like your havin a blast. I just have one question why didn't you just use your pole to clear 10ft you didn't have to use his. LOL sorry I couldn't resist that. Have fun bro

BA

SilverFox said...

What's up Mike! Thanks for sharing your "journey". I'm living vicariouly through you, Superman...

Have fun ... keep the pics coming.

TK

Channy said...

Miss you. I am glad you are having a great time. Stay safe. Can't wait to see you when you get home.
Love ya,
Channy

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike, P sent me your link. I'm Tatum's granny. Have you been to the SI yet? My ex lives in Blenheim, would be a hoot if you looked him up and said hello from Lynn. Small town, great pubs. Drink a Kilkenny for me.